Medical Oncology Unit started functioning in June 2005 at Hayatabad Medical Complex, Peshawar after being shifted from Khyber Teaching Hospital Peshawar (where it was functioning since 1999) and upgraded to a teaching unit.
It is the only accredited Medical Oncology Unit functioning under Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Department. This unit has posts of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Specialist Registrar, Junior/Trainee Registrar, Medical Officers, Trainee Medical Officers, Oncology Pharmacist and trained oncology staff nurses. Unit has 20 beds (10 each for male and female) and 12 day care chairs.
Medical Oncology Unit at HMC manages a large number of patients with solid tumors and hematological malignancies. Patients come to the unit from all over the Khyber khtunkhwa and adjoining areas. Over one thousand in-patients are taken care of in the Unit each year while eighteen thousand patients were seen in outpatient department in 2020.
- Medical Oncology Unit, Hayatabad Medical Complex Peshawar is the only unit recognized by the College of Physician & Surgeons Pakistan for fellowship training in Medical Oncology (FCPS in Medical Oncology).
- This department also supervises MHPE, M. Phil & PhD scholars from Khyber Medical University Peshawar and other institutions.
- Mandatory teaching program is in place for all postgraduate trainees of Medical Oncology Unit, HMC.
Mandatory Academic Program
Once a week (in ward rounds)
Alternating fortnightly (Wednesday)
Interactive lecture/Case based discussion
Once a week
Mortality meeting (once a month)
Once a month (Friday)
Once a week (Friday)
As per schedule
Individual TMO-Supervisor meeting
Once a month
(including portfolio & E-log discussion)
Services / Procedures
Treatment offered by the Unit include:
- Free consultation in OPD
- Diagnostics in radiology and pathology departments
- Chemotherapy (day-case & admitted patients)
- Biological/Targeted therapies
- Immune check point inhibitors
- Oncology supportive care
- Multidisciplinary care.
Almost all treatment to our cancer patients belonging to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is provided free of cost with generous funding from Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
This Unit keeps close liaison with other departments in the hospital as well as institutions like IRNUM & CMH Rawalpindi for other treatment modalities such as Surgery, Radiotherapy, Cryotherapy and bone marrow transplant as well as pediatric oncology.
Following is the Faculty of Oncology Department
- Audio Visual
- Cardiac Surgery
- CCTV Section
- Cleanness Section
- Clinical Skills Lab
- Community Medicine
- DEAN Office
- Deanery Postgraduate
- Diagnostic Ophthalmology
- Electrophysiology Cardiology
- Forensic Medicine
- General Cardiology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Medical Education
- Medical ICU
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - Dentistry
- Orthopedics and Spine Surgery
- Pakistan Studies
- Peads Cardiology
- Peads Ophthalmology
- Record Section
- Students Affairs Section
- Surgical ICU / Pulmonology
- Telephone Exchange
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vice Principal Office
- Vitreo-Retinal Ophthalmology