Introduction of Gynecology Department
Gynecology department of KGMC / HMC is a buisy teaching unit came into being since May 2004 situated in centre of Hayatabad Medical Complex. It is affiliated with KMU. Initially it was a small unit of 30 beds with 3 faculty members, now having a rich faculty of 13 members. Its beds strength has increased up to 120 beds. It caters for population of Peshawar district and its peripheries and all serious nature referrals of other districts. It provides all sort of emergency & elective admissions.
It provides 24/7 emergency cover for all sorts of obstetrical and Gynecological emergencies. There is 24/7 availability of specialist doctors along with cover of other Medical & Surgical specialties.
All Gynecological and obstetrical elective admissions are done routinely 5 days a week. All faculty members are available for procedures from professors, Associate Professor Assistant Professors and specialist Registrars. Obstetrical admissions are done routinly for fetomaternal monitoring as well. Most of the time beds are occupied at their maximum capacity.
Chair and Head of Department Prof. Dr. Shamshad Begum. A graduate from Khyber Medical College. Done her MCPS, FCPS & CHPE in Peshawar. She is serving this institute since 2008 till date. Before she served in Khyber teaching Hospital and remained a faculty member of Ayub Medical College as well from 2002- 2008. She served as Medical Officer, Junior Registrar, Senior Registrar, Assistant Professor & Associate Professor. She is regularly arranging academic activities in department, promotes skill development, students learning and assessment. Her efforts for uplift of department are admirable. She disciplined hard worker and tries to maintain high standards of care. She has 16 publications on her credit published in recognized journals. She is member of academic council, clinical executive board, house job committee, chairman labour room committee, chairman harassment committee.
There are two types of academic activities, one for undergraduates and other for postgraduates. Students of 3rd year, 4th year and final year MBBS come for clinical sessions to Gynae Department where all faculty members participate in their teaching as per schedule. Different teaching aids are used to facilitate their psychomotor skills.
Postgraduate teaching is done in all 3 units of department 5 days a week which include presentations, workshops, seminars, CPCS, General club and drills, weekly & monthly statistics are also discussed in routine postgraduate assessment programs like MOCK Exams, OSCE sessions, DOPs & Mini Cx, are Done. Preparation of Synopsis and dissertations are helped out for trainees. Trainees are sent to other Institutions as well to participate in clinical activities. There are two international level conferences on credit of Gynae department 2017 & 2018.
Our monthly flow outpatient clinics are conducted 5 days a week by all 3 units. All faculty members are available for patient care, teaching and training under graduates and postgraduates. Patients are examined in comfortable environment, thoroughly counselled and managed satisfactorily.
Gynecological & Obstetrics Elective procedures are carried out 5 days a week. All sorts of Gynae Procedures are performed for patient’s benefits, TMOs training and students learning. Laparoscopic and Hysteroscopy procedures are also performed to eclematize our trainees.
Different research projects are underway in the department Trainees are allotted topics for their dissertation and faculty members are also involved in research work for articles writing as prerequisite for their promotion.
Department of Gynae intends to introduce subspecialties in Gynae like Gynecological oncology, Gynecological Endocrinology, fetal Medicine Urogynae & emergency Obstetrics care.
Teaching Activities of Gynae departmentUndergraduates teaching
- All the faculty members are involved in students (undergraduate) teaching and post graduate teaching.
- Academic calendar is made at the start of academic year for each class.
- Topics are assigned to all faculty members.
- At present theme based learning is introduced.
- Each faculty members has to submit table of specification for their allotted topics including a
- Learning objectives
- Teaching strategies
- Level of competence
- Assessment strategies
- Evaluation program
- All faculty members involved in supervising examination and assessments are responsible for ensuring these processes to be followed.
- Ensuring assessment under standard conditions that are consistent and fair to students.
- Regular attendance checking by faculty member concerned.
- Communication of attendance for students to student affair section on daily basis.
- Clinical students teaching involves
- Allotment of case
- A particular scenario presented
- Detailed history taken by student
- Examination of patient ( supervised)
- Students are encouraged to mental exercise to establish provisional diagnosis, differential diagnosis.
- Relevant investigations check list prepared for particular case.
- Appropriate management options are discussed at length.
- Skill development procedures are explained to students. Then they perform under supervision and then individually hands on training.
- Students are regularly sent to labour room for observation of deliveries labour management, post partum drills etc.
- Operation theater visits are planned to observe important surgical procedures.
- At the completion of clinical durations of each group the students are evaluated by test.
Standard Operating Procedures for Postgraduate Teaching
SOPs are prepared in alignment with set standards of college of physian and surgeon and postgraduate medical institute. Since FCPS is a4 years training programme in which all the 3 domains of learning has been addressed. It includes knowledge, skill and attitude.
Different strategies adopted by the department for post graduates residents/ trainees include
- Teaching rounds/ bed side teaching
- Teaching in operation theaters
- OPD teaching
- Round table discussion
- Maternal perinatal mortality meetings
- Preparation of statistics
- Skill lab activities
- Labor suit teaching
Different workshops arearranged by CPSP like dissertation writing, surgical skills, computer and internet training, ACLS and BCLS.
Assessment Strategies for Postgraduates
Various assessment strategies has been adopted in gynaeobs department for formative assessment of trainees.
- Mini CEX
- Log book
- Port folios
- Mock exams
They have to follow the structural curriculum developed by CPSP.
They have to abide by rules and regulations set by PGMI and CPSP
They are given mandatory rotations twice, each for 3 months in different specialties to acquire knowledge, skill and attitude.
Following is the Faculty of Gynae Department
- Audio Visual
- Cardiac Surgery
- CCTV Section
- Cleanness Section
- Community Medicine
- DEAN Office
- Deanery Postgraduate
- Diagnostic Ophthalmology
- Electrophysiology Cardiology
- Forensic Medicine
- General Cardiology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Medical Education
- Medical ICU
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - Dentistry
- Orthopedics and Spine Surgery
- Pakistan Studies
- Peads Cardiology
- Peads Ophthalmology
- Record Section
- Skills Lab
- Students Affairs Section
- Surgical ICU / Pulmonology
- Telephone Exchange
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vice Principal Office
- Vitreo-Retinal Ophthalmology